Thursday, November 17, 2011

Myth in the Magus

" No sooner have you grabbed ahold of it than myth opens out into a fan of a thousand segments."        -Calasso page 147


"I think that's some kind of clue. The place of mystery in life. Not taking anything for granted. A world where nothing is certain. That's what he's trying to create here."   Magus page 339


I've used this quote from Calasso once before in one of my blog entries but after finishing my readings with the Magus I felt that it needed to be said again. How can one not relate to this when reading the Magus. Just like the quote is portraying, in this novel you never know what to expect. I don't know how many different times my conclusions and predictions were rubbed into the dirt. From start to finish, no sooner do you think you have it all figured out then something completely unexpected happens to spoil it all. Even Nicholaus is completely baffeled. He wants so much to hate Conchis and trust Lily yet he is presented with so many doubts.

No comments:

Post a Comment